Learn business skills
Develop strategies for success
Enhance Personal Artistry
Train with industry leaders
Over the 10 weeks, 12 successful applicants will enter into a focussed and intentionally structured professional development program. During this time they will train alongside the Lion Heart company dancers, attend weekly industry masterclasses at The Space Dance and Arts Centre, collaborate on their own creative projects and meet weekly around tables in a local cafe for lectures as they work through the ins-and-outs of professional business practice for dancers.
To create a place where a select group of dedicated and hard working dancers can be up-skilled in professional practice to achieve long-term success. The vision of Lion Heart Dance Company is to see the Australian dance industry filled with passionate artists and purposeful work. We believe that by providing exceptional training and professional development opportunities, we can send out leaders in to the industry who create positive change.
The program covers a large array of topics and has been careful constructed to easily guide you through some of the trickiest and most often ignored aspects of being your own business. There is a balance of physical training, creative projects, business-skills lectures and collaboration that is all designed for you to walk in at any stage of your career, experience the program and walk out equipped with not only knowledge, but resources, network connections and skills to guide you to long-term success.
The course covers:
- Physical training
- Physical maintenance (With guest teacher Fiona Neil of Live to Move Myotherapy)
- The psychology of the dancer
- Business Basics - Tax, employment, superannuation, regulatory compliance.
- Insurance (with guest teachers from DanceSurance)
- Project Planning - Timelines, Budgets, time management, writing pitches.
- Professional documentation - Writing a CV, cover letter, expression of interest and email correspondence
- Professionalism and reputation
- Networking, Social Media and Branding
- Goal setting, long-term planning and stepping out of the course into your future.
The course includes:
- 3.5 hours of Company Classes per week
- A 1.5 hour Industry Masterclass each week
- A 2 Hour round-table lecture each week at Recovery Café (Including unlimited free coffees)
- Discounted classes on The Space Dance and Arts Centre Open Timetable
- Weekly skills development projects
- Program Guidebook
- Goals Journal
- Strengths Finder 2.0 Personal Report
- Mentoring Time
The all inclusive cost for the program is $950 inc. GST, which must be paid in full prior to commencement.
Thanks to our partners, Australia's dance wear specialists, Energetiks, there are two half-scholarships on offer.
Admission into the program is by a carefully filtered application process and dancers wishing to apply must meet the following criteria:
- Be over 18 years of age.
- Be physically and mentally fit to undergo intensive dance training.
- Have completed a year of more of full-time professional dance training (or equivalent)
- Be available every Tuesday from 10am - 3pm and Sundays from 1:30pm - 4:30pm between March 20 and May 27th.
- Be able pay the full program cost before commencement.
To submit an application for the program, please click on button below.